Event Tool Kit:
Founded in 2001, the annual Summer Sailstice was created to help sailors the world over join together in celebration of sailing, on the northern hemisphere’s longest sailing day of the year - the summer solstice.
A Summer Sailstice event creates a fun, sailing opportunity for Sailing Clubs, Fleets, Associations, and Schools to celebrate the best of sailing with their members, and to introduce their programs to new and potential members. Create an event to expand your reach within your local area and reenergize members by celebrating the fun and value of sailing with everyone, from old salts to beginners.
Creating an event is easy. Use the links below to get pre-written copy for your Newsletters, Invitations, Press Releases and Posters. Use them to invite your members, tell the public and get media attention, and to put your event on the map for this year’s global sailing celebration. Whether you host a members only celebration, an open house, a race, cruise, weekend-long celebration, or whatever you come up with, your participation helps showcase the fun and benefits of sailing to the whole world.
1 Invitation - adapt the copy to send to your members
2 Press Release - adapt to send to your local media. (May to early June is a good time)
3 Printable Posters with date or Poster with Blank Space to add your event details. Stick them everywhere!
4 E-Newsletter ad - 1/4 page or 1/2 page. We all love to be reminded.
5 Order your 2019 Summer Sailstice T-shirts, Caps and Burgees - Discounts apply for Bulk Orders
6 Partner program - Team up with Summer Sailstice and share your message to a broader audience. You never know who might see it.
7 PDF Link buttons - Add to your website to help everyone Sign Up.
A hosted Summer Sailstice celebration can:
- Create an inclusive event which brings all members and participants together to celebrate the fun of sailing and of being part of the club!
- Serve as the perfect platform for launching an open house to introduce new and ‘yet to be’ sailors to your facilities, programs and benefits.
- Provide expanded awareness and publicity for your organization via the Summer Sailstice website.
- Create an opportunity for sister clubs, associations and schools, locally and around the globe, to celebrate sailing together.
- Serve as the “event hook” for the launch of a new class, program, charter, fundraiser, or to simply showcase your facilities.
And by registering your event on the Summer Sailstice website and encouraging all participants to RSVP to your event, your also giving them a chance to win from over 400 prizes just for joining the fun.
They will love winning, and you can later publish all the news about who did what, and who won what!
Go Ahead: Add your event now.
Grow your fleet, grow your club, grow sailing. Share the fun, grow the fun when you unite your club, class or fleet behind the global celebration of sailing. There's no one way to do it - race, cruise, daysail or rendezvous. See some of the 2018 events here. All together, when we sail locally and celebrate globally, we'll have a great time while showcasing the very best of sailing.
Once a year, one weekend of your sailing adventures on the map to capture a 'day in the life of sailing'. Just do it and have fun when you connect with the world in a global sailing celebration. How to make your event a Sailors for the Sea 'Clean Regatta'.
Make Summer Sailstice a three-day weekend! Download this note to get to get out of work for a Summer Sailstice holiday!
Promotional Art & Web Banner Ads - so you can invite the world to join you sailing. Use these web banners or ads on your website, in your email blast or in your printed newsletter:
Award Your Kids (Yourself) a 'Participation Award': Download Here
Let participants in your event know that when they sign up and RSVP to your event...
...they have a chance to win one of dozens of prizes from this List!
Go Ahead: Add your event now
Need some Ideas for your Sailstice? ...
Celebrate the Solar Noon -
Start a celestial, sailing tradition and welcome the solstice with a canon, or horns at Solar Noon while hoisting your sails in Sailstice Celebration. Firing a noisemaker at your local solar noon passes the celestial-baton to the sailors in next longitude who will in turn raise their sails as the sun crosses the globe.
To calculate your exact solstice time use the NOAA calculator, or check your local time at timeanddate.com.
Here are more ideas to help you plan your Summer Sailstice celebration:
- Host an Open House
- Shoot some Video
- Enter a Summer Sailstice Contest
- Community Sailing Open House
- Organize a One-Design Race
- Invite your community to enjoy Free Sailboat Rides - a great way to get new sign-ups for your club, or school
- Sailing Triathlon
- Sailing Scavenger Hunt
- Summer Sailstice Regatta - use Sailors for the Sea's guidlines and make it a 'Clean Regatta'
- Summer Sailstice “Beer Can Race”
- Celebrate with a Practice or Learning day
- Road Rally on the Water
- Raise Money for a Good Cause
- Demolition Derby (old boats only!)
- Poker Run
- Launch your summer sailing season
- Bottom painting/Boat Repair day
- Summer Sailstice 'Sail a Small Boat' Day
- Raft-up overnight
- Summer Sailstice Singles
- Unsocial - relax and go for a Singlehanded Sail
- Summer Sailstice Raft Up Barbeque
- Summer Sailstice Flotilla Cruise or Rendezvous
- Challenge your Dock/Marina Neighbors to a Race
For The Kids (or for those who refuse to grow up)
- Sponge Tag on the Water
- Boat Building Contest - start saving those boxes
- Dinghy Jousting
- Relay Races
- Football on the Water
- 45 Reasons to Learn to Sail
How about adding some salty music?
Check this list of sailing songs to take with you.
Or grab a few instruments and make your own pirate tunes - create a video while you're at it and enter the Summer Sailstice Sea Shanty Shake
Other Creative Ideas from Summer Sailstice past participants:
- Movies by Mainsail (Stingray Harbor Yacht Club)
- Lunar Disco in Northern Idaho
- Summer Sailstice Drink (recipe) Contest (Stingray Harbor Yacht Club)
- Long Beach “Catapalooza”
- Racing and Cheeseburgers (Lake Delta Yacht Club)
- Beach Cleanup Volunteer Event (San Carlos Yacht Club)
- SummerSailstice “Sail In, Dine Out” Charity Event (Donations to Seacology)
- Heart of Sailing Celebrates Summer Sailstice
- Newburyport Maritime Society Celebrates with Races, Marketplace and Kids Programs