Sailors for the Sea is offering a great ocean-saving prize for 10 Summer Sailstice sailors!
Have a 'Green' Summer Sailstice with Sailors for the Sea
Share this page
We all want to enjoy healthy waterways - Summer Sailstice ocean conservation partner, Sailors for the Sea shares 5 Ways to Go Green while joining the whole world sailing for Summer Sailstice.
1. Protect your skin and your waters! Avoid products that contain oxybenzone, as this chemical has been shown to harm coral reefs and fish development. Look for mineral-based sunscreens that use zinc oxide or titanium dioxide to protect you from the sun’s rays. Fingers crossed for sunny weather!
2. Skip single-use plastics! Over 8 million metric tons of plastic enters the ocean every year. Be a part of the solution. If you are packing a picnic lunch, include reusable cups, water bottles, plates, flatware and straws.
3. Get to know your local wildlife. Before you go out sailing, research animals that may be in the region – knowing what species to look for can help avoid collisions and is a great opportunity to educate kids about marine wildlife.
4. After you’ve reduced and reused, recycle. Bring two trash bags (three if you compost). If you sort as you go, it will make disposal that much easier at the end of the day!
5. If you are hosting a Summer Sailstice event, and are already working towards making it green – get it certified as a Clean Regatta – the world’s only sustainability certification for water-based events. With a commitment to sustainability and our framework, you can take action to help protect your local waters!
Love these tips? We’ve got an entire Green Boating Guide just for you. Sign up and we’ll email it over to you right away: bit.ly/greenboating
Sailors for the Sea is a non-profit organization that unites boaters to protect the ocean. With over a million boaters engaged in their programs and social media annually, they’re creating a powerful wave of change.