Grow your fleet, grow your club, grow sailing. Share the fun, grow the fun when you unite your club, class or fleet behind the global celebration of sailing. There's no one way to do it - race, cruise, daysail or rendezvous. See some of the 2013 events here. All together, when we sail locally and celebrate globally, we'll have a great time while showcasing sailing to the rest of the world.
Event Help and Tools:
Use the links below to get pre-written copy you can use in an evite, in your newsletter or to publicize your event plus additional ideas to create a fantastic Summer Sailstice event for your organization.
- For Sailing Clubs and Schools (For US Sailing, ASA, junior programs, community sailing organizations and similar)
- For Yacht Clubs (the obvious - for yacht clubs!)
- For Boat Classes/Fleets/Associations (For one-design fleets, boat manufacturers or sailing organizations (i.e. ASTA, SSCA, CCA, Potter's Yachters, J-24 Class)
The pages above have copy to help you create and promote your own Summer Sailstice event or just to promote Summer Sailstice to your sailing friends and the local media. The creativity of sailors, yacht clubs, sailing schools, boat classes and associations continues to dazzle us. We want to help you put one weekend of your sailing adventures on the map to capture a 'day in the life of sailing'. Just do it and have fun when you connect with the world in a global sailing celebration.
Make Summer Sailstice a three-day weekend! Download this note to get to get out of work for a Summer Sailstice holiday!
Promotional Art - so you can invite the world to join you sailing. Use these web banners or ads on your website, in your email blast or in your printed newsletter:
Web Banner Ads - download for your website:
1/4 and 1/2 Page Print Display ads for your newsletter:
Award Your Kids (Yourself) a 'ParticipatIon Award': Download Here
Let participants in your event know, when they sign up and RSVP to your event they have a chance to win a BVI charter and other prizes from this iist!
Go Ahead: Add your event now.
Ideas for your Sailstice
Here are some ideas for you to adopt as you start to plan your next Summer Sailstice celebration:
- Community Sailing Open House
- Sailing Triathlon
- Sailing Scavenger Hunt
- Summer Sailstice Regatta
- Summer Sailstice “Beer Can Race”
- Road Rally on the Water
- Demolition Derby (old boats only!)
- Poker Run
- Summer Sailstice Swinging Singles
- Summer Sailstice Raft Up Barbeque
- Summer Sailstice Flotilla Cruise or Rendezvous
- Boat Fixing Clinic
- New Sailor Open House
- Summer Sailstice “Try a Hobie” Day
For the Kids (or for those who refuse to grow up)
- Sponge Tag on the Water
- Dinghy Jousting
- Relay Races
- Football on the Water
Fire a canon or horns at your local solar noon. For exact lat/long calculation try the NOAA calculator. Or try this celestial site: http://www.timeanddate.com/ Firing a noisemaker at your local solar noon passes the baton to the sailors in next longititude. It carries on for 24 hours as the sun crosses the globe and sails are hoisted around the world. Or use this calculator: www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html
And here's a list of sailing songs to take to sea
Other Creative Ideas from Summer Sailstice past participants:
- Movies by Mainsail (Stingray Harbor Yacht Club)
- Lunar Disco in Northern Idaho
- Summer Sailstice Drink (recipe) Contest (Stingray Harbor Yacht Club)
- Long Beach “Catapalooza”
- Racing and Cheeseburgers (Lake Delta Yacht Club)
- Beach Cleanup Volunteer Event (San Carlos Yacht Club)
- SummerSailstice “Sail In, Dine Out” Charity Event (Donations to Seacology)
- Heart of Sailing Celebrates Summer Sailstice
- Newburyport Maritime Society Celebrates with Races, Marketplace and Kids Programs